[opendtv] Re: New Sony COO bullish on Blu-ray

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 21:17:01 -0400

Ron Economos wrote:

>I'm not really trying to defend 1394. Just pointing out
>that Kilroy's alternatives don't exist in the cable STB
>world (at least not yet).

From what you said earlier, they exist in hardware, but anti-competitive
industries are keeping these features disabled. No doubt the same motivation
that keeps CableCard from being more successful than it is.

If it weren't for the tuner mandate/plug and play agreement, we'd have even
less interoperability.

>My current thought is that the critical mass for home
>networks (using any transport) is quite far in the future,
>if ever. Even DLNA (which everyone seems to like)
>would seem to have a difficult road ahead. But I may
>be wrong

I agree on your reasoning about excessive level of geek-only appeal. Also,
if the multichannel system subscribers are those most likely to want home
nets, which seems logical, they will be butting heads against precisely
those industries that are most intent on preventing such open
interoperability.

I don't see how Firewire can possibly be the solution, or any other
individual protocol. This has nothing to do with protocols. It also has
nothing to do with Microsoft, as far as I can tell. It's the same old story.