[opendtv] Re: New Sony COO bullish on Blu-ray

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 19:17:44 -0400

Kilroy Hughes wrote:

> 1394 output from cable settop boxes never made any
> sense anyway. It was limited to compressed bandwidth
> for SD video, and it's still limited to compressed
> bandwidth for HD video.  A compressed display
> connection is a non-starter in many ways.

I don't think the broader discussion is limited in any way to the
"display connection." The broader topic is about the home network in
general, no matter how simple or complex, and the extent to which
non-proprietary boxes are going to be allowed to play. Whether this home
network relies on 1394 or on IP/Ethernet, compressed audio/video will be
transferred to some degree.

If STBs are used, vs built-in decoders in the actual appliance, the
compressed stream will be decompressed before the final box. This is
also how VoIP works, in systems where the final telephone is a standard
POTS analog phone device.

To get back to TV distribution, HDMI is a commercial standard. So using
HDMI between an STB and a monitor is not a reason to think that
proprietary STBs are the only way to go, I don't think. If Sony wanted
to use 1394 in a non-proprietary STB-monitor, they are allowed to have
goofed on that single point.