[opendtv] Re: New PrimeDTV PHD-100 OTA STB

  • From: John Golitsis <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:47:50 -0500

On 31-Jan-06, at 10:31 AM, Mark Schubin wrote:

> Correct.  Did you note Bert's comments yesterday about noise-figure
> problems from adding NTSC in the set?  Now imagine a consumer, who
> doesn't know a two split from a directional tap, doing that same
> connection of an NTSC tuner and a DTT set-top box to the same
> antenna --
> oh, and also figuring out how to get the output of the set-top box
> back
> into the TV's RF input along with those NTSC stations.

Sure, but NTSC goes bye-bye in 2009 anyway.  So for those that have
to live with the 'pain', it will be relatively short-lived anyway.
If you're not willing to live with the pain, do you really want an
ATSC set-top today?

> GoVideo D650          <- you got me on that one!
> Pioneer DVL-919               <- this is a DVD and LASERDISC combo at $999
> Samsung DVD-R320      <- this is a DVD Recorder
> Sony RDR-GX300        <- DVD Recorder
> Sony RDR-VX515        <- DVD/VCR combo
> Toshiba SCV394                <- DVD/VCR combo

The GoVideo is really the only DVD *player* of the lot, but
regardless, I don't see the point you were making.  All of these have
composite video outputs and if you need to convert that to RF, Mark
Aitken just pointed out a $7 modulator.