[opendtv] New Philips HDD/DVD recorder

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 17:59:16 -0500

Santa dropped off a nice new Philips DVDR3575H/37. I just wanted to fire off a
first impression, after having completed the initial setup.

First, I had already downloaded and read through the owner's manual. Philips
makes them available online, aloong with firware updates.

Two things I couldn't figure out. (a) Where is the autoscan setting that allows
you to just add additional channels, without redoing the whole scan? This comes
in useful when you have multiple antennas, and switch between them. (b) Where
do you tell the machine the aspect ratio of your display?

The second question turned out to be a simple setting in the setup menu. Maybe
I missed it in the manual.

The first one, believe it or not, turned out not to matter. Who needs separate
antennas anymore?

Remember how I said that Baltimore NBC11 was a perfect test of marginal
reception? And how Channels 4 and 50 came in better with the second UHF
antenna? And how the MHz Networks station, behind the antenna, came in only
with my omni VHF?

All past tense. NBC11 comes in just fine, thank you very much. And no need for
the additonal scan feature, if one antenna can do it all. The MHz network
station, which transmits 5 subchannels including France 24, from behind my
antenna, comes in almost glitch-free, and sometimes solid.

I had read online that the Philips ATSC built-in receivers are good. They do
seem to outperform my Accurian rather handily, decent as the Accurian is.

Easy setup, too. Only takes a few minutes. I still have to play with the
recording modes, and so on.