[opendtv] Re: New Chips Improve Color TV Dramatically

  • From: "John Golitsis" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:53:22 -0400

First of all, doing a DVE calibration without having the grey scale
calibrated first is a recipe for 'disaster'.  I've actually seen it make the
picture look much WORSE than it was with the factory settings.  All those
poor suckers out there that think their TV looks better because they've used
DVE, etc!  Without knowing more about what you're doing, It's really only
good for setting the black level and maybe the hue.

The green and red filters are used to check the colour decoder's accuracy.
Ideally, the set will have service-level controls for Gain and Axis of the
red and green channels.  Gain is pretty self-explanatory, and Axis is
basically like a hue control for that colour channel.  So, in Doug's case,
the green filter should show that the pure green bar is way out of whack in
gain as compared to white, so he'd lower the gain until the green bar
matches the intensity of white.  Then he'd compare the intensity of green
and white against cyan and yellow, and adjust the axis to that they all
match.  The green filter isn't terribly 'accurate' though, so yellow and
cyan actually end up looking more subdued that white and green, but as long
as they match each other, you're okay.  I should mention that different TVs
have different colour decoder controls, or none at all.  Hitachi and I
believe Sony have green&red gain/axis, Panasonic's CRT RP sets have Y-b/Y-r
controls and Toshiba's have no controls at all (but accurate decoders,
thankfully).

I'm certainly no video engineer, but I can't think of any reason why this
wouldn't work on a set with wider colour gamut, unless the colour filters
themselves become inaccurate as a result.