[opendtv] Re: New ATSC 3.0 Technology Group Formed to Anticipate TV of the Future

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 16:26:50 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

>> And they (ATSC) fully support 60 Hz and progressive modes.
>
> Yes, they did, and yet they (Sony, CBS et al) also insisted, and
> prevailed, that interlace be the foundation of the standard.
> Which Craig, who was also there in the early days, can confirm.

Sure. Because Sony, for one, was able to market HDTV cameras right away, if
interlace was part of the standard. And the first HDTVs on the market were
interlaced CRTs. So it made sense initially. Now, the 59.94 fps, 23.97 fps, and
the interlace portions of ATSC, can become irrelevant and unused, *if and when*
the "people that matter," i.e. content owners and broadcasters, decide the time
is right. For example, channels like RTV probably prefer to have the 480i 59.94
option, for transmitting old TV programs directly from videotape? (Whatever,
it's not my call.)

The equipment manufacturers will quickly phase out those settings, when they
see there's no demand.

Let me use IEEE 802.3 (Ethernet) as a non-broadcast example of this same
phenomenon.

802.3 supports fat and thin 50 ohm coaxial daisy-chain modes (10BASE5 and
10BASE2), a 75 ohm splitter topology (10BROAD-36), and a passive optical star
topology (10BASE-FB). In the early days, these were in demand. These days, you
can't buy any of them, except maybe on ebay. Because operators have upgraded
their networks to different Ethernet modes, and these older schemes have become
irrelevant.

Mind you, newer LAN standards, that never supported those modes, emerged, like
IEEE 802.5 (token ring), 802.12 (100VG-anylan), and ANSI X3T9.5 (FDDI). But
guess what? They all failed. The survivor is 802.3. Surprise!

What Craig wants is for the entire ATSC standard to be replaced, in the hopes
that the new standard wouldn't even offer the option of these legacy modes. But
what's the point? To force though one's age-old agenda, in spite of what the
actual stakeholders want or need? There are many options in IEEE and IETF
standards that have gone into disuse, over the years, not because they didn't
appeal to a few individuals, but because the marketplace decided they were no
longer useful. Same should be allowed to happen with interlace and weird field
rates in ATSC, IMO.