[opendtv] Re: Networks Threaten To Pull Channels Off The Air If Aereo & Dish Win Lawsuits

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 19:45:34 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> Take someone like in younger generation, or myself, who are
>> "cable nevers." Under what twisted logic could we justify
>> getting a subscription to a cable company, when we don't
>> use one even for broadband access

> To you. But it may well make sense to the MVPDs for several reasons;

Come now, Craig. Is there any reason to elaborate on the obvious? OF COURSE the
MVPDs want to be paid for doing nothing.

> 2. By providing service to new mobile second screens,

The MVPD is not. The ISP is. Whether I use ADSL or wireless 3G/4G, the ISP that
provides that service is where I get my Internet TV from, and also where all
the hand-held TV appliances get their TV from. These distribution pipes do not
have traditional broadcast TV tiers on them. So it makes zero sense for me (and
the many others like me) to pay a ransom to any MVPD for providing *no* added
value.

I'd much sooner pay my ISP that extra $0.50 or $1.00 per month, for a Fox
stream. Get it? The ISP is my distribution pipe, Cox or FiOS are not.

> What Fox and others think is that they can continue to control
> access to their most valuable content - especially sports - and
> that the vast majority of consumers will continue to pay those
> monthly subscriber fees.

As the previous article predicts, the vast majority of consumers are NOT going
to be doing what you say. The trend, those pesky trends you like to ignore, is
not what the MVPDs would (obviously) prefer.

> Frankly they really do not care about you.

That's silly, Craig. You can't hide your head in the sand. If TV viewing is
done more and more from hand-held toys, as you like to claim, then it's
crashingly obvious that the value proposition of the traditional MVPD is going
to change. And content owners are certainly not stupid enough to miss this.