[opendtv] Re: NYPD Blue commotion

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:36:41 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

My question is, especially in view of the last quote above, how come only the OTA affiliates and OEOs are socked with this fine? How come each MVPD net that aired it between 6 PM and 10 PM isn't also being fined?

From the Notice:

"Although we are informed that other stations not mentioned in any complaint also broadcast the complained-of episode of "NYPD Blue," we propose forfeitures against only those licensees whose broadcasts of the material between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. were actually the subject of viewer complaints to the Commission."

NYPD Blue aired from 10-11 PM Eastern and Pacific time. Hence only the Central and Mountain references.

As for Dennis Franz, again from the Notice:

"Three principal factors are significant to this contextual analysis: (1) the explicitness or graphic nature of the material; (2) whether the material dwells on or repeats at length depictions or descriptions of sexual or excretory organs or activities; and (3) whether the material panders to, titillates, or shocks the audience."

Apparently Denis droping his towel in the locker room wasn't sexy.

John