[opendtv] NYPD Blue commotion

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:35:00 -0500

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-08-25A1.pdf

[ ... ]

"Specifically, during the February 25, 2003 episode of the ABC program "NYPD
Blue," aired at 9:00 p.m. Central Standard Time and Mountain Standard Time,
these licensees each broadcast adult female nudity. Based upon our review of
the facts and circumstances of this case, we conclude that each licensee listed
in the Attachment is apparently liable for a monetary forfeiture in the amount
of $27,500 per station for broadcasting indecent material in apparent violation
of 18 U.S.C. § 1464 and Section 73.3999 of the Commission's rules."
[ ... ]
"Accordingly, IT IS ORDERED, pursuant to Section 503(b) of the Communications
Act of 1934, as amended, and Section 1.80 of the Commission's rules, that the
licensees of the stations that are affiliates of the ABC Television Network and
of the stations owned and operated by ABC, as enumerated in the Attachment, are
hereby NOTIFIED of their APPARENT LIABILITY FOR FORFEITURE in the amount of
$27,500 per station for willfully violating 18 U.S.C. § 1464 and Section
73.3999 of the Commission's rules by their broadcast of the program 'NYPD Blue'
on February 25, 2003."
[ ... ]
"The fact that the stations in question may not have originated the programming
is irrelevant to whether there is an indecency violation."

(I remember the episode. It did merit recording and replaying. I didn't think
we'd still be hearing about it five years later, though. Nor was it in any way
pornographic. What prudes, honestly.)

My question is, especially in view of the last quote above, how come only the
OTA affiliates and OEOs are socked with this fine? How come each MVPD net that
aired it between 6 PM and 10 PM isn't also being fined?