[opendtv] Re: NTSC TVs still for sale at Best Buy

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 21:21:50 -0500

Cliff Benham wrote:

Will there be new digital sets <25" available after March 01,
2007, or will the manufacturers simply not make any to avoid
having to deal with the *new rules*?

That's the question. If you go to the big stores, like Best Buy, Circuit City, or Costco, what you see now (or a few weeks ago anyway) is integrated sets that are no smaller than 26" 16:9 LCD HDTVs (1366 X 768 typically). These go for the mid to upper $500 range.

Then you see smaller LCDs, usually EDTVs (480p) that have only NTSC tuners, and they cost proportionally less, seemingly a function of screen size only. The 23" are still 16:9, the 20" are almost always 4:3, and sometimes you see 17" LCDs that are 16:9. Anything smaller is 4:3.

Then you see super cheap analog CRT sets, fewer and fewer models of them as time passes.

The question is, will ATSC receivers be incorporated in these cheap CRTs? What is the alternative? No cheap TVs to be had anymore? I don't believe it.

Same question. Or, will there now be VCRs and DVD devices sold
without tuners at all?

Well, Samsung, RCA, and Panasonic have announced integrated DVD recorders already, supposedly on store shelves in April, May, and beyond. We'll see if this really happens.

But I doubt very much that if CE manufacturers DON'T market these products, it is because they want "to avoid having to deal with the new rules." With ATSC chipsets being so cheap now, the excuse for not marketing these products is not credibly the FCC rules. It is much more likely that they are given incentives to NOT support US FOTA TV. Just as store clerks are given incentives to push consumers to subscription media whenever they ask about HDTV.