[opendtv] Re: NTSC TVs still for sale at Best Buy

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 19:14:53 -0500

Stephen W. Long wrote:

> I visited my local Best Buy today and found many LCD TVs
> for sale that only have NTSC receive capabilities.

Okay, I think I found the actual rule, and they do seem to be allowed to
sell off their inventory:

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/rules/part15/part15-8-14-06.pdf

Page 42, emphasis mine in the first paragraph:

(i) Digital television reception capability implementation schedule.

(1) Responsible parties, as defined in Section 2.909 of this chapter,
are required to equip new TV broadcast receivers ****that are shipped in
interstate commerce or imported from any foreign country into the United
States**** and for which they are responsible to comply with the
provisions of this section in accordance with the following schedule:

[ ... ]

* Receivers with screen sizes less than 25" - 100% of all such units
must include DTV tuners effective March 1, 2007.

* Other devices (videocassette recorders (VCRs), digital video disk and
digital versatile disk (DVD) players/recorders, etc.) that receive
television signals - 100% of all such units must include DTV tuners
effective March 1, 2007.

The requirement to include digital television reception capability in
new TV broadcast receivers does not apply to devices such as mobile
telephones and personal digital assistants where such devices do not
include the capability to receive TV service on the frequencies
allocated for broadcast television service.