[opendtv] Re: NTSC Cutoff Date

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:04:20 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> Also there is another Public Safety concern. Four channels in 700 MHz
> have been reserved for Public Safety and can't be used till the
> transition is over. State Troupers and others have witnessed before
> Congress not that people MIGHT get hurt but that people ARE being hurt
> because they STILL do not have access to these channels promised long
> ago.

Have you noticed how the public safety angle always gets used by those
who want this spectrum? Whether it's the cops, the firemen, or
broadcasters who want to implement a different standard, the public
safety card always seems to get played. Even the 9/11 scenario itself
got used in this sort of endeavor.

I'm not suggesting that some secondary public safety role for TV
should be out of the question. Just that the tactic seems tad overdone
and a tad pompous. I mean, who can argue against public safety, right?

Perhaps the FCC should start considering mandating UPS backup and
redundant lines for cable networks? I mean, just having multiple
OTA transmitters in any given market already guarantees more
redundancy than cable systems, yes? If cable is so popular, perhaps
OTA broadcasters should play *that* public safety card.

> Publicly broadcasters show concern for OTA and say that it is an
> important part of their customer base. In some cases it is but as your
> example shows in private they are far less interested in the
> demographics. Broadcasters have told me that no more than 5% of their
> customers are OTA and that they represent the poorest demographic
> group and the least interesting to advertisers.

Whatever an individual broadcaster might say, the truth seems to be
elusive enough, to the FCC and to the NAB, that any such opinions are
still just that: opinions. We've seen the figure vary from your
recent low of some 2 percent to highs closer to 50 percent. The figure
given usually seems sized just right to help "prove" a point
estimating party is trying to make. You've noticed this, yes?