[opendtv] Re: NTSC Cutoff Date

  • From: "David Keeble" <david.keeble@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:32:25 -0400

You hear these kind of comments all the time, and there's certainly some
truth in them, but I notice that people keep applying for OTA stations
whenever the opportunity arises. Just crazy? Or do they plan to make money?

Here's a thought:

Even if 85% of the HH in the area are connected, the remaining 15% watch
almost as much TV and have only the OTA stations to choose from. A station
can find that it gets <4% of the cabsat audience's viewing, with hundreds of
channels to choose from, and over 20% of the OTA audience.

Cabsat audience at 4% of 85% = 3.4 % of total viewing.
OYA audience at 22% of 15%   = 3.3% of total viewing.

That makes the OTA audience pretty important in the station's total viewing,
even if they aren't going to buy a Lexus. They proabably still shop at

Not to mention the cable subs that receive a station through the off-air

I'm guessing they'll ask him to turn the transmitter back on. Politely.

David Keeble

>The station manager told my friend that
>the transmitter wasn't that important to the station anymore,
>becuase 85% of their viewers were watching on cable.

>Gerry Kaufhold in Arizona
Publicly broadcasters show concern for OTA and say that it is an
important part of their customer base. In some cases it is but as your
example shows in private they are far less interested in the
demographics. Broadcasters have told me that no more than 5% of their
customers are OTA and that they represent the poorest demographic group
and the least interesting to advertisers.

You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways:

- Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at 

- By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word 
unsubscribe in the subject line.

Other related posts: