[opendtv] Re: NHK demos UHD TV broadcast

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 11:41:17 -0400

At 10:29 AM -0400 6/1/06, Mark Schubin wrote:
>Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>>  It is an attribute of any imaging system. And remember, this is
>>  all about fooling the human visual system into thinking they are
>>  seeing an accurate image, while you are actually throwing away image
>>  detail.
>If the retinal angle remains constant, the visual system needs the same
>amount of information.  UDTV is meant to be viewed much closer than HDTV.

Correct. As I noted in the earlier post, screen size and viewing
distance are the important factors with respect to the resolution
requirements for any video imaging system.

But the comment above was specifically related to the fundamental
concept behind entropy coding systems for video. Digital compression
provides many more handles on how to eliminate information
selectively without rendering the delivered content un-watchable. The
reality, is that as we increase the resolution of the system (while
properly choosing the screen size and viewing distance), we have more
high frequency detail to remove that is usually not used by the human
visual system.

During the UHDTV demo NHK placed a still image of Las Vegas from
Google Earth on the screen and asked us to find the Las Vegas
Convention Center. Talk about information overload. It took many
seconds to find it; the "moderator" provided clues and the actual
location before most people had found it. We simply cannot process
all the information in higher resolution images in real time - there
is much to exploit in entropy compression because of this.