[opendtv] NCTA: 'Cable Show' Convention Becoming INTX | Multichannel

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 09:06:53 -0400

http://www.multichannel.com/ncta-cable-show-convention-becoming-intx/383922

NCTA: 'Cable Show' Convention Becoming INTX

The National Cable & Telecommunications Association is renaming – and
reformatting – its annual convention to become INTX: the Internet and
Television Expo in an effort to broaden the three-day gathering to include
online video providers and distributors beyond the traditional Cable Show
crowd, officials said.

What had been known as The Cable Show will go on as INTX next May 5-7 in
Chicago, NCTA said. More information about the new-look convention will be
released between now and then, officials said. A Web site has been established:
intx.ncta.com. A representative of NCTA said this was not a signal of any
current plans to change the association's name.

But it would be an easier next step given that CEO Michael Powell told
MultiChannel News in April that the phrase “cable” in NCTA does not convey the
“breadth of who we are and what we do.” Then there is the fact that NCTA
applied to the Patent and Trademark office to protect “NCTA The Internet &
Television Association" as a possible new name.

Officials at the association said late Wednesday there this nothing imminent on
the name-change front.

NCTA said in a release: "INTX reflects the evolution and transformation of the
NCTA’s Cable Show and will focus on the digital media and entertainment
economy, featuring multichannel video and broadband Internet providers;
television creators and producers; online video distributors; digital
technologists and startups; engineers; and more. INTX will include some of
today’s most respected thought leaders, all in a reformatted conference and
exhibits dedicated to learning and idea sharing."

“Everything about media and communications is being reinvented: the way we
watch, how we keep in touch, what we know, how we play. So now is a perfect
time to reinvent the way we come together to learn, network and do business,”
Michael Powell, NCTA’s president & CEO, said in the release. “Everyday the
digital landscape changes and the networks that enable it becomes more
powerful. This new expo will highlight all of these new trends and voices in
every corner of today’s digital economy.”

Jerry Kent, Chairman and CEO, Suddenlink Communications, and Alfred Liggins,
CEO & President, Radio One and TV One, will serve as co-chairs for the
inaugural expo, NCTA said.

NCTA said INTX will feature "a re-imagined exhibit floor and will be home to
the most interesting companies in technology, software and apps, online video,
multiscreen, mobility, consumer tech, games and advertising. There will be
opportunities for hands-on exploration of themed technology and digital content
showcases, including TV Everywhere, the latest gadgets, the Internet of Things,
start-ups and competitions, 4K TV and more. INTX will also showcase diverse
panels and exhibitors representing the entire digital media ecosystem,
all-access receptions and networking opportunities, interactive experiences,
digital content pavilions, screening areas and more."

The 2014 gathering in Los Angeles drew more than 10,000 attendees, 206
exhibitors and 24 participants in the technology forum called CableNET,
according to NCTA, a trade association that represents cable-TV providers
(which are also the biggest U.S. Internet companies), programmers and related
technology providers and other related companies.