[opendtv] Re: NBC Launching Live Stream | Multichannel

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 22:40:54 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Now this makes sense, as compared to what CBS did with their $5.99/mo
> streaming service.

That's funny. I saw the same story about NBC, but I didn't post it. Why not?
Because it's basically no news. It's just more of the same-o same-o TVE
concept, therefore of limited interest. Whereas the CBS and HBO stories are
more forward-looking.

> More support for TV Everywhere, and soon support for all of those
> "crippled" streaming boxes that Bert detests. More proof that these
> boxes are not crippled by the manufacturers, but rather, by the
> content conglom lawyers.

Only "more proof" that Craig believes Internet access should not be neutral.

Once again, Craig, the congloms already make their content available using well
known and long established IP standards. If device makers prefer to develop
ecosystems that balkanize the Internet, then forcing themselves to have to make
special deals with these content owners, and if further the pundits prefer to
obfuscate the readership, by implying that such balkanized ecosystems are the
only way to move forward, I wouldn't call that progress. It would be better to
hear more voices such as that one WSJ article, to educate, rather than dumb
down, the readership.