[opendtv] Re: NAB forms DTV transition team

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:45:59 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> If this thing is pulled off by 18 Feb 2009, it will be
>> within the original goal of 8 to 15 years for the
>> transition to be over.
>
> Whose goal was this Bert?

It was the FCC's goal. The earliest hoped-for analog shutoff was to
occur on 12/31/2006, which is basically 8 years after the November 1998
start of DTT transmissions (in the first few markets).

But they also discussed transition times which may extend to 15 years,
in the early days. The time frame mentioned was always 8 to 15 years. If
you forgot those comments, I can probably try to find them in the old
archives.

So if they stick with the 2009 date, it will be just over 11 years,
right in the middle of the range.