[opendtv] Re: NAB and 3D...News production?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 17:06:27 -0500

Dan Grimes wrote:

> My question is, do you thing 3D will spill into the television
> news outlets?  Although it is yet to be mainstream with even
> sports, there was much speculation that news would never go High
> Def. because it didn't need to.  So will news go 3D in the
> future just as it is almost all High Def. today?

On HD news, the old argument against is was always silly, IMO. The ONLY excuse
to not going HD for just about anything is if you need the bandwidth for
something else. (Well, also studio costs, of course.) If you are using the same
subchannel for news as for the main stream, and you aren't adding in
subchannels off prime time, then there's just no excuse to transmit news in SD.

Humans with "normal" vision see the world in HD+. Therefore, anything from a TV
set that comes close to natural resolution will typically look better. Even
news, ads, or infomercials.

3D is something else again.

1. 3D brings with it the nuisance of either having to wear glasses, or having
to sit in a sweet spot if the no-glasses scheme is used. Not wearing the
glasses is unacceptable. The image is ugly viewed without glasses. I'm guessing
the same ugliness results in the other scheme, when not sitting in the sweet
spot.

2. 3D adds the views from two perspectives (whatever the technical term is),
but does so in a compromised way. Eye convergence and distance to screen don't
match. Which can and does create queasiness for some of us, at least some of
the time.

3. Other depth cues are already present in a 2D image, so the eye-brain is not
totally without the depth info with 2D TV.

Bottom line is, unless I'm missing something, that transmitting HDTV comes with
NO penalty on the part of the viewer, whereas transmitting 3D comes at a cost.
I think people will buy into it for special occasions, like sports or an
occasional movie. I'm not so sure that people will want it as a steady diet,
though.