[opendtv] Re: NAB - DSLR for aquisition

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:15:31 -0700

"I didn't attend this year; but one of my Producer friends did.
Friday, I sat down with him and asked him about all this "3D" buzz.
He looked at me with a puzzled look.  He thought the biggest thing was
acquisition using Digital SLR cameras such as the Canon 5D.  (An
episode of Fox's "House" was recently shot using one 5D camera.)

"He saw a lot of camera accessory booths prominently featuring the
Canon 5D camera and their accessories.

"It's an interesting observation, as two news photographer friends who
attended mentioned the 3D as well.  I guess folks in different fields
took away different perspectives."  --Don Moore

Yes, your friend is quite correct that the DSLR was well represented as a
capture device.  I didn't pay much attention to it except to say that I was
amazed at the sophistication of the accessories and lenses that were
displayed.  I was surprised to see so many DSLRs hung on a $200,000+
lenses.

But I thought 3D was more prevalent; but that could be because of sheer
number of displays everywhere.

By the way, one company (I wish I wrote down the name) was displaying 3D
content on a screen that that was truly 3D without any eyewear.  The effect
was fine except there was only depth from the screen surface to infinity
with nothing jumping out to the viewer.  I did not ask about the
particulars.  The effect remained as one walked to the sides of the monitor
but in stepped increments.

I am always interested in Mark Schubin's view of NAB.  He always finds such
great things that are buried amongst the overly obvious.

Dan