[opendtv] My first dtv converter box

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 20:14:24 -0400

While I've used various HDPC cards and HDTV's for some years but this
past weekend I played with my first low priced converter box.

I visited my mom for Easter.   During the winter season she lives off in
the boonies in central Florida, away from most everything.  She has Dish
TV but uses a small second TV with a whip antenna to get a somewhat
snowy picture on one channel in the bedroom.

Apparently on impulse and without coupon she had purchased one of the
low priced converter boxes for this.  When I arrived I found I was in
charge of installing it. ;-)

Predictably it got no channels.  She was not interested in hooking it up
to the (dead) rotor antenna on about a 35 foot tower that my dad used to
use before the satellite dish.  She was also not interested in running a
cable thru the wall where the E* box was exactly on the other side in
the living room.

She just said she could return the box, and would.

I don't blame this on ATSC, or poor converter boxes, and I don't know
how typical this scenario was.  But as my only attempt to set up a
converter box for a older family member I thought it was an interesting
anecdote.

- Tom