[opendtv] Re: Must carry fiasco

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:17:18 -0800

Geez, Bob.  I tend to not believe you.

Let me see, I'll try an easy one.  Who -- I want names -- at the FCC told
you that a grant with no respect to modulation was a mistake?  Did you know
that the FCC can only correct a grant within 30 days of release, unless the
grantee permits the correction?

Who -- I need a name again -- at the FCC told you that you could not
transmit using COFDM on an LPTV?  Did, they actually refer you to a rule
section?  Have you actually read the rules, and -- more importantly -- the
FCC Record decisions on licensing and modulation matters?

And, just what's wrong with using an STA?  They're good for more than 6
months these days?  (Experimental or Experimental-developmental
authorizations prohibit one from airing commercial programming, but that's
not an issue with STAs.)

I suspect that what happened is more in the world of social engineering;
somebody at the FCC -- perhaps a  few somebodies -- didn't like you and
realized they could fool you.

It's been more than a few decades since anybody there tried that with me;
but then I don't ask them in person to interpret the rules; I always knew
the rules in advance, and only asked them abou t the unwritten "practice and
procedure."  When they said that something couldn't be done, I usually could
come up with instances where it had been precisely been done the way they
said was proscribed.  Not everybody liked me, but they quickly learned that
the wool would seldom stick to my eyes.