[opendtv] Re: Must carry fiasco

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:52:34 -0500

John Willkie wrote:

>You obviously weren' paying attention.
>
>LPTV STATIONS HAVE BEEN ABLE TO BROADCAST USING 8-VSB EXPLICITLY SINCE MID
>1994.
>
>LPTV STATIONS CAN BROADCAST USING COFDM TODAY BY FILING A SIMPLE NOTICE WITH
>THE FCC.
>
>"Media Professionals" at one time offered an "inland marine" insurance line
>for broadcast liability protection.  I'm not sure if the NAB still offers
>the package, but NAB associate members at one time could get coverage based
>on their highest spot rate.
>
>John Willkie

You say it but all the facts that I know say otherwise. One of my
friends got a digital license on his LPTV station two years ago with no
mention of modulation. When I took a copy to the FCC they told me it was
just a big mistake.

We have had three meetings with the FCC on this subject alone. No way
could you go digital on LPTV or COFDM except as an experimental or STA
and even that would have been iffy after 1999. The rules for going
digital on LPTV have been passed, they have been recorded in the record.
But there is no mechanism at the moment for an LPTV station to actually
apply for such a license. The FCC needs some software written or
possibly it has been written but they need to pay $20,000 for it and
they do not have the money. Any month now we can apply for digital for
LPTV. Any donations please?

Could you give a pointer as to where you get such information? I have
been dealing with Keith Larson, Hashemzadeh Hossein and Bruce A. Franca
for the last six years. Seriously if you have any information on how
COFDM could be used on LPTV I would love to hear about it.

Bob Miller