[opendtv] Musical Chairs

  • From: "John Limpert" <john.a.limpert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 21:13:42 -0400

There's an interesting article on the mechanics of the DTV transition in
Broadcast Engineering.

Much left to be done for DTV transition to be successful, Donovan says

http://broadcastengineering.com/hdtv/dtv-transition-successful-donovan-0320/?r=4

To illustrate the extent of interference that will be caused without
effective planning and coordination, Donovan laid out the numbers. According
to the MSTV chief, of the stations that will relocate from their temporary
DTV channel assignment:

  - 35 percent (about 600 stations) will be changing channels on Feb.
  17, 2009;
  - 28 percent will be going from their temporary DTV channel back to
  their old analog channel assignment;
  - 6 percent will move to a new DTV channel.

We're at point A and we want to get to point B. It looks like there may be
major problems in coordinating all of the planned frequency shifts