[opendtv] Re: Multicasting Stalls

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 08:55:37 -0500

http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/111462

Multicasting Stalls
by John Merli, 01.03.2011

"Multicasting has not happened according to plan," said James McQuivey, principal analyst at Forrester Research. "When analog TV spectrum was being allocated for digital, broadcasters promised all kinds of social benefits to come from multicasting if they could just keep that large piece of spectrum. And maybe their hearts were in it at the time, when they expected their broadcast monopolies would still hold into the foreseeable future."

Mr. McQuivey is creating some revisionist history here.

Multicasting was NOT supported by broadcasters. In fact it was specifically excluded from discussions in ACATS and the ATSC until the 11th hour (the summer of 1995 to be exact).

Most broadcasters were operating under the assumption that carrying additional programs would add expenses but steal viewers from their main channel. I suspect this is still true today, except for the few cases where the multicast can carry a second popular network like My TV and the CW Network here in Gainesville, or one of the major networks in small markets like Presque Isle.

It is interesting that the Fox Network is primarily responsible for getting multicasting added to the ATSC standard ion 1995, but has never taken advantage of it.

And in a separate note.

Mike Galgano asked about cases where stations used cable channel branding in lieu of their actual channel number. I forgot about a classic case in our own backyard. For decades WJXT, Channel 4 in Jacksonville, was imported into the Gainesville market by Cox Cable - it was carried on cable channel 4. When WJXT decided to drop its network affiliation with CBS, an independent station operating on Gainesville channel 53 was able to get the CBS affiliation for Gainesville. But they branded the station as CBS 4, which took over cable channel 4. After the DTV transition the physical channel moved to 28; they still multicast My Network TV on 28.1 (CBS is on 28.2) which is branded as MY 11 since it appears on cable channel 11 here in Gainesville.

WJXT (now operating on Jacksonville channel 42) is still on the Gainesville Cox Cable system on channel 19. And it is still branded as Channel 4, although it is carried on cable channel 3 in Jacksonville.

I would call this a virtual nightmare!