[opendtv] Re: Multicast must-carry

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 08:23:27 -0700

Yeah, I heard that about analog must-carry after 1898, but it didn't prove
to be true.

You might be informed by actually reading the resulting Supreme Court
opinion, particularly how they discuss the public-policy/governmental powers
at play, and compare them to Martin's argument.

I'm not saying that the clearance of such a law would be a slam-dunk (it was
very close on the most recent ruling), I am saying that the Congress has a
legitimate interest in seeing the transition succeed, and that could easily
tip the scales.

Indeed, that is the "gravitas" of Martin's comments.  Unfortunately, he
can't even get it on the agenda at the FCC, so he only has the bully pulpit.

It's not that he doesn't have the votes to PASS it; he doesn't have the
votes to put the matter on the FCC's meeting agenda.

Craig, supreme court decisions aren't analyzed on how close they are, except
by fools engaged in a mere patina of an analysis -- call it sophistry.  "Roe
v Wade"  has been one vote away from being overturned for a decade, but it
hasn't happened.

It's the conditions, reasoning and analysis that matters to later judges,
not the vote.  If the conditions change, the analysis can change, and event
the result.

John Willkie