[opendtv] Re: Movies are 'least-watched online content'

  • From: Steve Wilson <stevenjwilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:17:13 -0500

I dont watch TV on my PC, but my 6yr old watched a kids movies from Vongo last nite on my laptop lying on a bed. My wifes niece doesn't have a TV in college. She watches TV on a laptop. Issues with quality and/or download speed will soon be history, IMHO. Once the TV can be seemlessly connected to the PC - easily, inexpensively by all - people will have a lot more choice. And its not a simple problem - yes, technically, its easy to connect a PC to TV, but its quite a bit harder to connect content from the internet to the TV in a manner that we are used to.

Of course if you have a the equivalent of a dial up connection you will need broadband access to make this work.

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Strange how things actually turn out. But I wonder why the very long
download times, or poor quality for streamed video, coupled with the
no-fun aspect of watching a movie up sitting up close to a PC, don't
play a part here. (It might be okay if you have to be crammed in an
airplane seat for hours on end.)

Bert

----------------------------------
http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=2127

Movies are 'least-watched online content'

Movie downloads-both legal and illegal-remain the least-watched genre of
online video-and only 5% of North Americans who watch video via the
internet have rented or purchased a digital movie download, according to
findings from ABI Research.

The new data shows that the number of web users paying for films is
lower overall than those who claim to have downloaded a movie for free
from a peer-to-peer sharing site.

The new study, Broadband Video and Web Television End-User Perceptions,
goes on to reveal that the vast majority of online viewers-nearly
70%-are selecting short-form content such as sport and news clips.

Consumers who were asked why they choose not to watch films downloaded
or streamed from the internet mainly cited their satisfaction with
existing cable and satellite services, as well as DVDs. Nearly
half-48%-claimed they would never purchase a movie download because they
are happy with their current providers and the rental market.

Research director Michael Wolf said: "Despite the growing interest in
the pay market for internet-delivered video, perhaps the biggest
remaining hurdle to widespread adoption is that the status quo usually
gives consumers a vastly superior, and often less expensive, experience
than internet-delivered content".

He added: "The industry needs to develop reasons and business models
that increase overall consumer interest in internet-delivered video,
including allowing for easy transfer and better viewing on the large
screen".

Lovelace Consulting 14.12.2006