[opendtv] Re: Mortgage stuff

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:54:36 -0400

 > Sorry Bert, but the FCC DID mandate ATSC receivers in any
 device that can receive FTA broadcasts;

Yes, Craig, the FCC only requires the ATSC receiver in devices meant to
use ATSC -- FTA receivers. Is that illogical?

YES.

The vast majority of devices that contain ATSC receivers are not and probably never will use those tuners.

But if you prefer to
become beholden to a walled garden, guess what? You don't need to worry
about ATSC. And the FCC is not forcing you to.

Sorry, while I do not need to use the ATSC tuner, I still have to pay for it.

And this is because the FCC mandated that TVs include the ATSC tuner.

 > YOU are making the assumption that these packets contain
 synchronous video. A-90 assumes that the purpose of a data
 broadcast standard is to deliver something OTHER than MPEG-2
 video, for which there is already support.

A/90 allows both.

Not exactly. I can't find the specific language in the standard, however, you are not supposed to deliver MPEG-2 video using the Data broadcast standard - this is illogical anyway, as it only adds overhead.

The standard does support both synchronous and asynchronous data broadcast applications. perhaps this is what you are referring to.

And I forgot that they did provide an escape clause to deal with direct encapsulation of data packets into the MPEG-2 TS.

10. DATA PIPING
This data broadcast standard defines data piping as a mechanism for delivery of arbitrary user-defined data inside an MPEG-2 transport stream. Data is inserted directly into the payload of MPEG-2 transport stream packets, and none of the Sections, tables or PES data structures defined in this standard are required. In other words, no methods are specified in this standard for fragmentation or re-assembly of data sent in this manner, and all interpretation of the data bits shall be application defined. However, the Service Description Framework information shall be provided as defined in section 12 of this standard. Likewise, announcement and scheduling of data piping-based data services shall comply with requirements in section 11 of this standard. Any use of the adaptation fields in Transport Stream packets shall be compliant with [11].

In essence this obviates the need for A-90, although the standard does describe extensions to PSIP to deal with the announcement of where to find data piping services.