[opendtv] Re: Morse code to become a lost art?

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:28:38 -0800

At 5 wpm, you can pretty much count the
dots and dashes. At 13 wpm, you must
train your brain to recognize the unique
sound of each character (and be able to
write it down, which involves right/left
brain communication).

   At 20 wpm (which used to be the level
for the Extra Class license), most folks have
a difficult time writing or printing that fast.

   I found it difficult because it wasn't something
I could read from a book. It required practice,
which can be frustrating since results are not
immediate. It took me a couple of months,
practicing two half hour sessions a day from a
tape of random characters and then also copying
ARRL CW bulletins on the air.

   Plus, there's the ordeal of taking the test.
I had actually got up to 18 wpm before taking the
test, and I still almost choked.

   The sad part is that I don't operate CW at all.
I could not pass the 13 wpm test today. It's a good
thing that it's a lifetime license!

Ron

Tom Barry wrote:

Ron Economos wrote:
In fact, I consider learning
> Morse code (at 13 words per minute) to be one
> of the most difficult skills I've ever accomplished.

13 wpm might be hard but as a kid I was very briefly interested in getting a novice license and didn't think it was very hard to achieve 5 wpm. But I moved on to other things (don't remember what) before actually making the application.

- Tom