[opendtv] Re: More Black Friday deals

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:46:03 -0800

For some retailers -- books and jewelry, for example, they get 70-80% of
their annual sales in the Thanksgiving - Christmas period.  I suspect they
enter "black" during the period.

I doubt that Walmart enters profitability in the period, and that few
general interest retailers do.

Certainly no retailer enters profitability on a day that they offer cut-rate
prices on loss leaders; they just tempt bargain-shoppers.

I will note one caveat with the Master Card citation: their figures only
cover credit and debit card sales.  Makes one wonder how many people cash
their paychecks on the Wednesday before thanksgiving, so they can spend wads
of cash at 6:00 am on Friday.

Anecdotally, I've always noted a spike in the length of lines at banks about
the end of the second week in December.  I've always asked tellers what the
patrons are doing, and they have universally told me that customers are
withdrawing cash (and Christmas savings funds) for purchases.  I've never
noticed long lines during the third week in November.

In Mexico, where salaried people get paid for two month's work in December,
there is a definite spike in retail traffic between about the fourth of
December and the 11th.  Indeed, I've noticed that there is a definite "buzz"
in the air during that period; restaurant customers go up, traffic goes way
up in cars, taxis and 'autobuses.'

John Willkie