[opendtv] Re: More Black Friday deals

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:03:32 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> I was in WalMart yesterday and decided to see what they were
> pushing in terms of HD capable receivers/displays.
>
> It looks like the price points this year are $650, $750 and
> $850. For $650 you get a 26" widescreen LCD panel with
> integrated tuners. For $750 and 850 you get a 32" widescreen
> LCD panel with integrated tuners. The product at the mid
> price point is from a non-name Chinese manufacturer.
>
> LCD panels smaller than 26" do not have integrated tuners.

That's been my experience as well. But what you should also mention is
that the smaller panels, the ones without integrated ATSC receivers, do
not cost substantially less. Some sans ATSC actually cost more than some
of the no-name integrated sets. Although for the most part, the
difference seems to be related to screen size and (for some inexplicable
reason) to aspect ratio too.

This started happening at least a year ago, well ahead of the original
12/31/06 hoped-for analog cutoff date. So, at least in the price range
of LCD panels today, the impact of the ASTC receiver on the price of the
TV sets is completely "noise level." For all the complaining about the
price of STBs out there, I don't think there's any reason to complain
about the price of the built-in variety.

This coming 1 March is the date when all TVs and all recording devices
have to have the built-in ATSC receivers. I'm very curious to see what
happens to the good variety of DVD recorders now on the market. Very
curious. I suspect that retailers will think that ATSC receivers built
into standard def DVD recorders "doesn't make sense," which of course I
would disagree with completely.