[opendtv] Re: More 1999 stuff

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:53:55 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> Here is another cached Google article by Dale Cripps.
> It is facinating to me how far we have come in 6 years.
> (NOT!)

Both reports are fascinating, John, but I of course
disagree with your conclusion.

The reports are fascinating because they were essentially
on the right track. The fact that it took this long to
get a good 8-VSB receiver for indoor use, and that there
are mysterious reasons that keep it from going into
production, is what we should be asking. Saying that
nothing changed in 6 years is just plain wrong. We didn't
know how to make the indoor plug and play 8-VSB tuner in
1999. Someone at LG, and I suspect Micronas too, does
know today.

Regardless, things certainly had not changed much by
2001 and 2002, when the NAB still strongly endorsed 8-VSB
and helped the FCC "stay the course." So that's a mystery
almost as intriguing as the LG supertuner mystery.