[opendtv] Re: Monitoring Signals With ATSC USB Tuners

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 14:59:58 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> Re-read the last part of my sentence, Bert. As even you should know by
> now, we should have had DVB-T here in 2000.

John, there is a common expression that goes something like, "after 11 years,
it's time to stop crying over spilt milk."

From my own perspective, the tradeoff between 8-VSB and the first iteration of
8K COFDM used in DVB-T is not so compelling. Matter of fact, with all the talk
of further compressing the TV bands in the US, any system with low PAPR and
high spectral efficiency (at a given C/N ratio) is probably a better fit.

If mobility were really the prime concern, things might be different. But I
view mobile TV a bit like I view interactive TV. Maybe time wil prove me wrong,
so far it has not.

What 8-VSB weas really lacking was any form of "more robust" stream, a la
hierarchical modulation in COFDM. M/H can be used to fill that void.

If we stick with single-market broadcasting in the US, even the excuse of
needing COFDM to deploy SFNs becomes rather lame. So, although DVB-T2 would be
interesting, it's not like we really need it for regional SFNs here. So all in
all, it's time to move on from the empassioned debates ca. 1999-2000. IMO, of
course.