[opendtv] Re: Monitoring Signals With ATSC USB Tuners

  • From: "Hunold, Ken" <KRH@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:57:08 -0400

Thanks, John.  More comments:

"Back in the day," my cable company was not a large operator.  I've
heard horror stories about the number of mom-and-pop operators many
stations have to serve.  I was just pointing out that their tower was
even farther away from the transmitters than I was.

I am only going by the alleged 4 dB difference in minimum C/N ratio
between ATSC and DVB.  Obviously, I never got a chance to try it out for
real.  It seems that time has helped cure the multipath reception
issues.

Tuned yagis aren't always an advantage for the operator when the TV band
gets re-packed.  They need new fish bones.  Again though, it's a moot
point with my now-MSO system.  My personal co-channel problems moved
from UHF to VHF.  I will have to resort to a "stagger stack" to reject
two stronger, but more distant, signals in order to pick up my "local"
channels.

Ken