[opendtv] Re: Monitoring Signals With ATSC USB Tuners

  • From: "Mark A. Aitken" <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 17:05:08 -0400

Not quite true. The 2dB advantage was the nominal value attributed to ideal "edge of coverage contour" that was quantitatively collected and measured. Even in the "best" real world conditions we never found a 4dB differential which could be identified in ideal laboratory conditions. The same holds largely true today. Those 1st (and 2nd and 3rd and 4th and...) WERE bad. We simply acknowledged with the LG 5th generation that as a subjective matter, the many, many, many shortcomings of earlier devices had been largely overcome. There is always a penalty for multipath in a single carrier system. It needs to be managed. The impact is ALWAYS negative.

NUF said...

On 9/30/2010 4:21 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
John Shutt wrote:

Given DVB-T's reception in the UK with such miniscule power levels,
That is misleading to the point of being disingenuous, John.

The UK and Italy, each of which is the size of one small state in the US, deploy
2000 towers each to cover their population. France uses 3000 towers. In the US, we
have a total to about 6000, counting the big sticks and the low powered
translators. That is a difference you seem to ignore. And not just that, but it
only takes a few dozen transmitters to cover the majority of the population here,
as we discovered during the debate about how many O&Os exist today.

Also, I'll remind you that this miniscule power you're talking about is
translating into very tenuous indoor reception in those Euro countries. Even at
close range.

the proven far field performance of DVB-T compared to ATSC during the
Sinclair Baltimore Summer of Love in 1999, I doubt that your reception
would be any worse than it is today, and probably better.
Sinclair found a 2 dB difference in favor of ATSC, but they also couched that
with an acknowledgment of how bad those 1st gen receivers were.

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology
Sinclair Broadcast Group
===================================
(410) 568-1535 OFFICE
(443) 677-4425 MOBILE
===================================
"Let us have faith that right makes might,
and that in faith, let us,to the end,
dare to do our duty as we understand it."
<>    ~ Abraham Lincoln ~<><

"Our country's founders cherished
liberty, not democracy."
<>    ~ Ron Paul ~<><

"We must accept finite disappointment,
but we must never lose infinite hope."
<>    ~ Martin Luther King, Jr. ~<><

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold
is for people of good conscience to
remain silent."
<>    ~ Thomas Jefferson ~<><

begin:vcard
fn:Mark A. Aitken
n:Aitken;Mark A.
org:Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.;Engineering & Operations
adr:;;10706 Beaver Dam Road;Cockeysville;MD;21030;USA
email;internet:maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
title:Director of Advanced Technology
tel;work:(410) 568-1535
tel;fax:(410) 568-1580