[opendtv] Re: Mobile broadcasters face technical, business hurdles

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 11:14:23 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The real issue here is whether the broadcast stations will
> be able to generate new revenue streams from mobile broadcasts.
>
> If they simply offer the same content in the free and clear,
> the content owners will not have much leverage to charge
> additional license fees. BUT...
>
> In discussion I have had about mobile DTV broadcasts the factor
> that is stimulating the most interest among broadcasters is the
> ability to generate new revenues from this service, most likely
> via inclusion in subscription packages sold by the mobile phone
> carriers. IF broadcasters are compensated for their signals (as
> they are now via retransmission consent) the content owners are
> going to demand their cut.

Absolutely, and rightfully so. Much as the broadcasters demand their cut
when cable systems use broadcasters' content as a way to attract
subscribers.

On the other hand, if existing OTA TV broadcasts are made available to
mobile platforms "as is," there should still be a meaningful benefit, in
the form of increased Nielsen ratings, I would think. So that should
percolate up the chain too. I don't see why any new agreements need to
be made, though. The benefits should accrue naturally, in this case,
because more money should be made from the same ads.