[opendtv] Re: Mobile broadcasters face technical, business hurdles

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:20:42 -0500

ould interpret that to mean that even if new mobile receivers were
using plain old 8T-VSB, the Hollywood studios would get upset. I doubt
that anyone had such misgivings when the first car AM radio was
invented, back in the 1930s or whenever?

There is a very important bit of information missing from this thread.

The real issue here is whether the broadcast stations will be able to generate new revenue streams from mobile broadcasts.

If they simply offer the same content in the free and clear, the content owners will not have much leverage to charge additional license fees. BUT...

In discussion I have had about mobile DTV broadcasts the factor that is stimulating the most interest among broadcasters is the ability to generate new revenues from this service, most likely via inclusion in subscription packages sold by the mobile phone carriers. IF broadcasters are compensated for their signals (as they are now via retransmission consent) the content owners are going to demand their cut.