[opendtv] Re: Mobile Video, Producing from the Cell Phone

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 08:27:10 -0700

Don:

Did you say they were using mobile phones for their productions?  I
reviewed some of the past video blogs (video podcasts, whatever they're
called) and they all looked pre-produced or webcam based rather than
mobile based.  Do you know of any show titles that were mobile based that
I could look up?

There are actually many people doing the mobile based blogs through Kyte,
Qik, and other websites.  Some are even news organizations.  The point of
our cell based productions were that people from a little neighborhood,
East Paradise in Las Vegas, could directly interact with high politicians
through the cell phone and computer, watching and texting questions
directly.  The goal is to use technology to encompass a tighter social
network with the direct constituents.  We'll see how it works.

Also, a live event like the DNC and high-ranking politicians are usually a
little more compelling than other subjects.

Dan

"Don Moore" <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
08/25/2008 06:12 PM
Please respond to
opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[opendtv] Re: Mobile Video, Producing from the Cell Phone

It actually just comes down to another set of tools.  While the
Broadcast Industry worries about HDTV, the Internet folks have been
trail blazing before small audiences.  Former Tech-TV Host Leo Laporte
streams close of 40 hours of live tech news programming from his
"studio".  Another TechTV host Chris Prillio broadcasts live from his
home nearly 24/7.

But just as podcasters before them, the audience is still measured in
the thousands.  Once the broadcasters accept the technology, as NPR
did to podcasts, you can expect those numbers to greatly increase.

Broadcasters have the audience numbers, the Internet folks are just
warming up the technology.

FYI - Links:
Leo Laporte - http://live.twit.tv/
Cali Lewis - http://www.calilive.tv/