[opendtv] Re: Mobile TV jitters

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 20:19:32 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> Nice try, but just as you pointed out that unless all receivers
> from day one were equipped to receive HD you would forever be
> locked into simulcasting HD and SD, likewise unless all
> receivers from day one are equipped to receive A-VSB then you
> are forever locked into simulcasting 8T-VSB and A-VSB.

Nice try, John. The simulcasting of 8-VSB and A-VSB can be done for two
main reasons:

1. For mobile handheld applications. The DVB equivalent being a DVB-H
simulcast. Hence, a draw.

2. For a robust stream in case of maintenance or other temporary
problem. In that case, you're right, DVB would not require simulcast.

And then there's the HD and SD reason for simulcasting, NA for ATSC.

I submit to you that the #2 reason, being only of temporary nature,
should not overly alarm anyone. Whereas the simulcast of SD and HD is an
ongoing headache, day in and day out.

I suggest that overall, ATSC comes out okay when the subject is
simulcast requirements, compared with any currently-deployed DVB-T
system. New implementations, e.g. NZ, have the opportunity to start out
right.