[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:23:48 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> But a ubiquitous wireless digital data pipe is another story. That
> pipe can deliver all kinds of bitstreams.

> In short, the real problem we are dealing with here is the narrow\
> definition of services  for each chunk of spectrum assigned today. A
> more enlightened spectrum policy would focus on reliable delivery of
> bits to mobile/portable devices (these bits would ALSO be available
> to all fixed devices).

I'm not sure I understand why you don't put 3G cell phones in that
category. Or perhaps future devices that use IEEE 802.20, which is
really meant to provide the same service as 3G cellular, but packet
switched only.

I don't think spectrum policy has anything to do with this. I think
that this sort of service does not coexist well at all with one-
way very wide band, and "always on" (H)DTV delivery, though. It makes
perfect sense to assign these two jobs to different parts of the
spectrum.