[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:25:25 -0400

At 11:06 AM -0400 4/16/04, John Golitsis wrote:
>Perhaps tomorrows 'portable' TV is not what you currently think a
>'portable' TV
>is.  Why not have WiFi (or whatever) communication to a fixed base unit that's
>actually responsible for doing all the 'work'?  Certainly can solve many
>reception problems that way, and make the portable TV that much more portable
>('cept for moving it over longer distances, of course, since you'd
>have to take
>the base unit too).

Thanks for putting into words what I was trying to get across to
Bert. You can have portability inside of your PDNE (Personal Digital
Networking Environment), with little more than a WiFi connection. Of
Course you still need decoders in the display to turn the bits into
pictures and sound.

Several such devices already exist.

Furthermore, this display can also do other applications. Like the
kitchen chores I wrote about the other day. Or it can be a stereo,
playing music from your library.

And if you want to turn the display into a true portable TV, you
would most likely be able to plug-in a DTV tuner card or module via
USB or Firewire, not unlike the tuners that will be available for
portable computers.