[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:24:55 -0700

>At 4:11 PM -0700 4/19/04, Eory Frank-p22212 wrote: Bert wrote:
>  >I thought the idea was that the OTA tuner mandate would go hand in
>hand with the cable tuner agreement? Otherwise, stand-alone, it
>makes no sense.
>
>The FCC made ATSC receiver/decoders mandatory. The FCC approved the
>CEA-NCTA plug-and-play agreement that allows uni-directional digital
>cable receivers/decoders. Note the distinction between "mandatory"
>and "allows." You might think this situation would automatically
>mean that all integrated DTV sets will be digital cable-ready, but
>that isn't necessarily the case -- at least not until there is a
>two-way plug-and-play agreement, and the complete STB functionality
>can be built into the TV set.
>
>The FCC was also very specific in closing the door on a
>digital-cable-only option. If the product has a TV tuner of any
>kind, it must include OTA ATSC capability at a minimum.

There is no requirement to include an OTA receiver in a cable or DBS
receiver. Take a look at:

FCC 02-230
MM Docket No. 00-39
SECOND REPORT AND ORDER
AND
SECOND MEMORANDUM OPINION AND ORDER
In the Matter of Review of the Commission's Rules and Policies
Affecting the Conversion To Digital Television Adopted: August 8,
2002 Released: August 9, 2002

Specifically footnote #43 on page 12 which reads:

43 The discussion herein pertains only to broadcast television
receivers as defined in Section 15.(3)(w), i.e., those intended for
reception of service on the television channels authorized for
service under Part 73 of the rules. See 47 C.F.R. 15(3)(w). The
requirements adopted in this action do not apply to devices such as
cable and satellite service receivers that are not designed to
receive broadcast TV signals over-the-air.

If the receiver includes an NTSC tuner then Frank is probably
correct. But there is little if any reason to include any OTA
receiver in cable or DBS STBs. The sets they feed already include an
NTSC receiver.