[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 07:41:22 -0700

At 2:18 PM -0400 4/18/04, Kon wrote:
>There are hundreds of video services and feeds available for your
>laptop. Off the top of my head:
>
>feedroom.com
>cnn.com
>msnbc.com
>foxnews.com
>windowsmedia.com
>apple.com/quicktime
>winamp.com
>shoutcast.com
>gamespot.com
>real.oom
>hollywood.com
>movies.com
>movielink.com
>
>You do have a web browser, right? ;-)

And not one of these is available to me right now as I drive toward
the convention center here in Las Vegas.

You are completely missing the point.

Yes, when I have a a wired or even a WiFi connection to the Internet,
I can access all of these services. But they are all limited by the
bandwidth of the pipe I can use to connect.

What I am talking about is not a replacement for these services, but
rather, a way to augment the distribution of digital content to
devices when they cannot connect to a two-way IP connection.

AND, I am talking about a way to deliver  content of interest to mass
audiences. without the need to flood the Internet with massive
numbers of duplicated streams - and yes, I know that IP Multicast can
be used for streaming of the same content to large audiences who are
willing to consume the bits in real-time.

Just think of this as using DTV broadcasts to push popular services
to the masses, either for real-time consumption OR to keep local
caches updated.