[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV Gets Its Road Test - 11/6/2006 - Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 15:20:33 -0500

Mark Aitken wrote:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6388372.html?display=Technolo
gy

> MAA - Well, let us see if folks can begin to imagine more of a
> future for OTA Broadcasting...

Whether mobility is what it takes to assure a future or not, this is
good stuff, IMO.

I have a couple of questions about this:

1. The article mentions only the use of turbo codes for the
convolutional FEC. Is there nothing added to the training technique? I
thought A-VSB had some sort of additional training sequences added to
the bit stream.

2. What about diversity antennas? Did you guys only use a single antenna
in the mobile tests?

3. What was the standard 8-VSB receiver you were comparing against? A
Samsung Gemini would be my guess. I'd be curious how that did by
comparison to A-VSB, and how well it might do with two antennas vs just
one, in a mobile setting.