[opendtv] Re: Mini-ITX and TV over IP Was: RE: Re: How important are new Codecs wrt OTA Broadcasting?

  • From: "Silvio Macedo" <s.macedo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 00:33:27 -0000

> Using windows or stock linux distro as the OS? Good luck there..
>=20
> People never seem to understand that a stock OS linux/windows 'STB'
> platform is good if you have maybe 50 in the field. Try it with a
few
> hundred or more. Directed channel change? Firmware updating?
> Reliability? Nada. RMA hell. :)
>=20
> Cheers
> Kon
>=20
> > Interesting, we are building a P2P Corporate TV solution based on
> > Mini-ITX, on WiFi. Output is HD (though content is not :( yet).

Kon, I always like to hear what you have to say.

I still did this time, though, I would point out that this sort of
solution cannot be that easily dismissed:

- firstly, Directed Channel Change is archaic compared with what we
are doing - not only can we personalise each terminal content (or use
advanced profile matching to generate a customised playlist, target
the audience, location, peak time, etc), but also we are introducing
feedback via webcam, and other sensors - real-time. - remember, this
is  corporate TV, not home tv.
- secondly, most routers in the field are Linux - TiVO runs Linux. I
don't exactly understand your point. Stock linux - no.. maybe not...
but, it's easy and cheap to adapt Linux to our goals.Our only problems
are with hardware decoding acceleration being better supported on Win
than on Linux.=20
- updating - all sorts of - codecs, drivers, the entire install if
needed,  is very very easy with one of the countless utils for this
sort of mass deployment and managing. Mass admin is also quite simple
- remote diagnostics, etc
- reliability - fanless and solid state memory /or network booting..
plus a disk for caching content - prone to mechanical failure (as much
as a laptop)...

Well, and then, there are all the advantages that I don't have to
mention...

Silvio