[opendtv] Re: Microsoft Exec: 1080p HDTV Is Meaningless

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:23:18 -0400

I'd assume it would be more than 1080i/30 on most all material, but nowhere near twice as much.

Though frankly I doubt there is much source material available yet where the results would have observably more detail than 720p. But it is still a nice future target.

- Tom

Hoffmann, Hans wrote:
......so what do you think: how much bit-rate would be required for a
1080p/60 emission format using e.g. MPEG-4 AVC?

1: equal to 1080i/30 (average critical material)
2: less than 1080i/30 (how much with average critical materail - percentage)
3: more than 1080i/30 (""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" - percentage)

Regards, Hans

European Broadcasting Union
Hans Hoffmann - Senior Engineer Technical Department
L'Ancienne Route 17a
CH-1218 Grand Saconnex Geneva
Switzerland
Tel:+41 22 717 2746