[opendtv] Re: Microsoft Exec: 1080p HDTV Is Meaningless

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:56:37 -0400

At 12:46 PM -0400 8/17/06, Tom Barry wrote:

Displays are clearly headed towards 1080p, at some frame rate. And oversampled telecines are emerging that can create a good 1080p/24 archive media. We just don't have good 1080p/60 cameras yet.

I believe that this is an overstatement.

Yes some displays are headed toward 2 mpixel resolutions, especially those used up close and personal, such as personal computer displays. But for TV displays, 1080@60P is only being used on large screens, and even here it is difficult to justify. E.G. a friend just bought a Samsung DLP displays that is 52" diagonal, the same as mine. But his is 1920 x 1080 while mine is 1280 x 720. Is his better? When viewing the on-screen menus the answer is yes, but only a little. When viewing video the answer is no; even Hd sources cannot saturate the quality of the 1280 x 720 display at this screen size. The ONLY difference is the perceptibility of the raster, and this is only true at a viewing distance of about 1 screen height.

The vast majority of LCD panel displays for TV are around 1 Mpixel (or less). Dual use panels (TV and computer display) are sometimes higher resolution than 1280 x 720, but rarely 1920 x 1080.

But if we archive and increasingly work with 1080p there is not much problem with using 720p as an emission format when needed. Or even 540p or 576p for Internet delivery. Yet highdef DVD's of some sort can maybe also use 1080p/60 as the surplus space becomes available.

I've got no problem with 1080@60P as an acquisition and archival format, EXCEPT for the practical limitations I outlined yesterday. 1080@24P is and will continue to be used for post production and archival purposes, but 1080@60P is not likely to have any significant market impact for a decade or more.

The emission format is sort of the thin section of the pipe right now, but it's not the only pipe. So we will likely expand the resolution at both ends to take advantage of future opportunities and other delivery methods.

The emission pipes are being abused at virtually all levels of resolution. Perhaps "SOMEDAY" they will be used properly. THat is, to deliver HIGH quality samples that can be scaled properly at the display.