[opendtv] Re: Micronas Delivers World's Smallest Digital TV Demodulator

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:54:47 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

Were we to have adopted a solution that worked out of the
box and, though it might have also required some relatively
minor tweaking, our DTV transition would be many miles
ahead of our current position.

I have big doubts on this, for reasons I've repeated below. Anyway, the chip we're talking about is the Linx Casper design, no doubt tweaked some more over the years, first demoed in non-integrated form in early 2002 (CRC tested in 04/02). Which means, we could ALREADY have been miles ahead of where we are.

2002, coincidentally, was also the year that ITV gave up trying to make their coverage work with 64-QAM. The primary reason being (believe it or not) excessive vulnerability to impulse noise, but also other coverage problems (complaints from 50 percent of their viewers, I find out now).

Parenthetically, isn't it curious how everything worked perfectly, we were told, before the reduction in bit rate. (Yes, they did have that out.)

Linx had Casper miniaturized and CRC field tested in early March 2003. The chip was to have been available in sample sizes by the middle of 2003 and in quantities by the 4th quarter of 2003. It's now 2007, over three years later, and only two months ago we saw our first 5th gen STB, and as far as I know, we just got the very first ATSC DVDRs announced this month. WOW!!

Oh, did I forget to mention LG's 5th gen which suddenly showed up, all set to go, also in mid 2003 (CRC tested 9/03)? And then others we were informed about.

However, we all know that eco-politics was used to block any
opposition to ATSC, but please don't get me started......As a
practical matter, I'm past all of that and would simply be satisfied if
this manipulation would end.

(Okay, please do not let me get you started.)

I think it's a safe bet that eco-politics were and are still involved, as you say. It was LG that made that real plain. And the fact that no one else came into the starving market to take their place. Linx had the excuse of the move to Micronas, at least for a few months.

That can only lead me to conclude that NO MATTER WHAT, we weren't going to get this transition going quickly. Whatever dark forces prevented Linx and LG from getting their stuff in STBs and recording devices were surely not going to let any COFDM solution get in their way.

I can only think of one scenario where a switch to COFDM would have made a difference. That would be if DVB-T itself were creating obstacles, to get the FCC to switch over. Because anyone else intent on preventing good DTT receivers from arriving would CLEARLY not want COFDM. Their aim would be to slow everything down, not speed it up. COFDM would have been the worst thing to happen, to these guys.