[opendtv] Michael A Tondreau

  • From: Larry Bloomfield <Larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 08:41:09 -0800

It is with the deepest regret that I convey to you the passing of Michael A Tondreau, Vice President of Engineering of Oregon Public Broadcasting this Tuesday, January 30th. Mike was in a battle with cancer the last few months.

He had been at OPB, or it's predecessors for 42 years. He was active in the expansion of our public broadcasting service from its humble roots at KOAC in Corvallis to the present facilities that include 5 TV and DTV stations, 40 TV translators, 6 full service FM stations, 1 AM station, 18 FM translators, and almost 1,000 miles of terrestrial microwave. Mike guided the Engineering department during the difficult transition from a State agency to the successful private non-profit organization we all recognize today.

Mike was instrumental in the construction of one of the first digital TV stations in the country, which was built on an Experimental license in 1997.

He served for many years on the PBS Engineering Committee. Mike was well liked and respected by all of his peers. He was a genuine nice guy. He had a special ability to take a complex subject and explain it to non-technical people in a clear and understandable way.

He was an Amateur Extra class operator, licensed W7BBR, and trustee of the OPB Amateur Radio Club call sign, K7OPB... Mike really enjoyed CW and was a "true" Extra having passed the 20 wpm code exam years ago.

Those are just some random thoughts. Mike was host to the Taste of NAB 2005 Road Show in his facilities in Portland. We here in Oregon and those who knew him will truly miss him...

No firm Memorial Service plans have been issued, but would expect something occur within the next two weeks..

--

Larry Bloomfield, KA6UTC