[opendtv] Merry Christmas

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 13:29:37 -0500

This was a special Christmas for me. Hope it was for all of you.

Just before Thanksgiving I was diagnosed with Colon Cancer. Had a
great Thanksgiving having told no one.

Had laparoscopic surgery on December 15th and they removed a foot of
me. Left the hospital on the 21st with no sign of cancer in 15 lymph
nodes that were also removed. Took the subway home.

Had a great Christmas. No physical or food limitations other than to
avoid fiber for 6 weeks.

Back on topic two things I noticed. On the fifth day in the hospital,
the day of release, after a few days of extremely intense nausea etc.
(possibly opium withdrawal), resist the pain button they provide-take
the pain,  I came around to find that the Monet poster that I had been
examining in detail 24/7 for the previous four days had changed.

I could see much more detail, the colors were far more vibrant, it was
a different painting. Same when I left the hospital. Everything was in
technicolor and I could smell each car's exhaust on the street. At
first I thought that the car I smelled just had a bad fuel setting but
then I noticed that I could smell each one as it passed in front of me
at an intersection or idling at the curb. I could smell everything
amplified.

And food!! Because of the various test I was on a clear liquid, liquid
or no food of any kind diet since just after Thanksgiving except for a
few days and this was true up to only an hour before my release. I
could not even have water for four of the five days in the hospital.

So it is a special Christmas.

Get your regular checkup. They seem to know what they are doing these days.

Bob Miller