[opendtv] Re: Mediascream - Re: 20050810 Wolfsson's Wednesday Words (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 22:49:03 -0700

I don't know if that was the real reason, or all of it. The NAB 2000 (or
was it 99 I don't recall) demo at the NDS booth had a proof of concept
MediaStorm (RIP) client running on it.

One problem was the device's battery had to constantly be recharged (I
couldn't demo it for longer than 15 minutes). The other problem was it
weighed half a ton. And ofcourse it was a total prototype.

As for the content on the device - no-one wants to watch webpages
datacasted to portable devices -- boring! And just to set the record
straight - the datacasting was smoke and mirrors. Yeah, the pages were
copied manually on the device.

I'd call it a neat toy which was overrun (stampeded would be a better
word actually) by the 802.11 market.

Cheers
Kon